Emergency Care with a Heart

When Robert Youngblood and his wife, Beatrice walked into the hospital on July 29th, they were excited to see their granddaughter and her brand new baby girl. The 79-year-old Glendale resident had no inkling that he was just minutes away from a major heart attack, but he’s thankful he was here when it happened.

We went down to the hospital to see our new great granddaughter, Paris Francesca. Grandma was holding her, and she handed her over to me. About 45 seconds later, I broke out into a cold sweat.

I recognized it right away. I just handed the baby over to my wife, and I guess I said I wasn’t feeling right. The next thing I knew I was stretched out on the floor. Everybody else just took over, and it seemed like half of Anne Arundel Medical Center was in the maternity ward where I was.

At first, I didn’t feel any pain, but by the time they got me to the emergency room, my pain was getting close to a ten out of ten. It was really starting to hurt. The doctors and nurses were there doing all the necessary things, and they ended up putting a stent in. Everything was just handled so quickly and it was like military precision. It is a top notch plus organization.

After that, when I was in a room, I was treated well by everyone—even the nurses that come in to stick your finger and check your blood all night. I nicknamed them vampires, but I smile when I say it. Even they were truly great.

Robert’s wife, Beatrice agrees. Although it was a horrible thing to go through, she says it couldn’t have happened at a better place.

I can only say that if anyone were to ask me where should they go if they need a hospital, Anne Arundel would be my first choice. Absolutely. The picture is still in my mind, how a deluge of nurses came into the room, and then the doctors came. The next thing I knew they were wheeling him down the hall, and they were making sure family was following—making sure we were all there and taking care of us, too. We stood out in the hall while they were in the emergency room with him, and my son said, ‘look at the staff, look how everybody is here.’ They were calm and just doing what needed to get done. It was calming for us.

I’ve noticed, even when you walk in the door, everyone smiles. I’ve yet to have someone that’s not spoken to me, even staff members walking down the hall, they will smile.